Thursday, September 13, 2012


We got the part for our computer so we now have internet on both computers.

Here are some of the bulkheads.

I had quite the time trying to get these pieces to fit. The bottom skin was not properly bent from the factory so we used the same method on it as we did to bend the leading edge of the rudder. However, since it is over twice as thick, we were going to break the broomstick so we use a big metal pipe and a pipe wrench.

All drilled. Now I get to take it apart and debur everything.


Monday, September 10, 2012


It's been a long time since my last post. I finished the bulkheads and am working on the tailcone now. We just got back from the Badlands Fly-in. We had a great time there. I'll get some pics up after we get a part for our other computer. Oh, we are now on fiber optic internet! 6 mbps download and .5 mbps upload. Way faster than satellite. Although the new system is responsible for frying the Ethernet port on the other computer which is the reason I'm not posting pictures. I'm hoping the bugs are fixed. I hope to have pictures up on Wednesday.


Sunday, July 22, 2012

Bulkhead Work

I've been getting a chance to work on my project again. I have finished the F-705 Bulkhead as well as the next two back. (more specifically F-706 and F-707.)



Well, I better get back to work.


Saturday, May 26, 2012


Work on the airplane has slowed down with more ranch work going on, but I have been trying to get a little done. The F-705 bulkhead is just about ready to rivet.

I have trouble with spectators. All they do is stand around watching. Five-year-olds are even worse. Not only do they not understand basic commands, (such as, "Hand me the cleko pliers") but they also get nose prints all over the place.

See picture.

Life is good.


Monday, April 9, 2012


I've finished work on the F-704 bulkhead (for now) and have deburred the parts for the F-705 bulkhead. I'm probably not going to progress very fast now that we are getting busy with ranch work.


Sunday, March 4, 2012

Firewall Finished

Yesterday I finished the firewall. I was able to back-rivet all but eight rivets. It turned out really nice. The rivets called for in the plans are too short though.

Here is a picture of the forward side of the firewall.

And the aft side.

Here is what I used for a back-riveting bar. I just had to make sure to keep it under the rivets.

Back-riveting gives really nice results.

A close up of a rivet.

I get to start on the center section next.


Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Working on the Firewall

Well, I got my hardware organized.

After that job was done, I started on the firewall. You have to fabricate several parts such as these angles.

The firewall assembled with clecos.

After I drilled everything out I took it apart so I could debur it. That is tomorrows job. Once I finish the firewall I'll post some more pictures.


Thursday, February 23, 2012

Wings Finished!

The other day, Dad and I finished sealing the right tank. We then moved the wings upstairs. I straightened up my workroom and then we washed the floor. After that was done, I moved the fuselage box in.

Picture of my workshop.

I have quite a job to do. I need to organize all this.

The fuselage box.


Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Almost Finsished with the Wings!

I got back to working on the wings. I didn't post any updates because the process was basically the same for the left wing as it was the right. Here are some pictures of how we riveted the last skin on the left wing. We clecoed the skin to a piece of PVC pipe then ran a rope from the PVC pipe to the ceiling.

As of now, Everything is finished except for the wingtips (I am going to wait to install them) and the finishing the right tank. Yesterday Dad and I sealed the left tank. We got the float bent and tested the sender. We also had to bend the pickup tube so it would be at the bottom of the tank. I stuck the camera in the tank with the self-timer on to check the position of the pickup line.

We then installed needed items and got everything sealed.
It won't be long until I am working on the fuselage!