Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Bad Lands Fly-in.

On the 9th of September we loaded the Bearhawk up and headed to the Badlands fly-in in Hot Springs SD. This is the second time we went. We had a lot of fun last year and this year wasn't any different.

I got a couple of pictures of Mt. Rushmore on the way down.

When we arrived, there were already quite a few airplanes on the ramp.

Shortly afterwards, several more showed up and put on a bit of a show for us.

3 RV-10's and an RV-7A.

An RV-10.

Russ Dent's RV-9A.

Another RV-10





RV-7A (I think)

A bunch of RVs. Jay Pratt's RV-8 (Borrowed Horse) on the far right.

Bruce Bluhm and Dean Sombke's nice RV-10.

We also went to a mammoth dig site. It was once a sinkhole that mammoths fell into and couldn't get out. Since they say a picture is worth a thousand words...

All and all, We had a great time looking at airplanes and talking to the builders.


Friday, August 5, 2011


No, I didn't abandon it, it's just that during the summer I don't get much of a chance to work on it because of the ranch work we have to do. I'll get back to work on it in the fall and winter when things aren't so busy. It looks like I didn't get the picture from riveting the wing skin on the computer. I'll have to get around to that sometime.

Oh, we got the Super Cub back in mid June. We have been having a blast flying around the ranch with it. I've got my take-offs down pretty good. I've done a few landings as well, but I need to work on them some more.


Sunday, May 22, 2011

Riveting Wing Skin On.

Dad got a chance to help me today since it is so wet out; therefor, Dad Danny and I worked on riveting the bottom skin on the wing. To his delight, Danny got out of it by going to take care of the milk cow. We got it about half riveted to the wing.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Landing light installation

Yesterday I finished installing a 'Duckworks' landing light in the right wing. Here are some pictures I took while installing it.

One of the hardest parts was cutting the hole in the leading edge. That was something I 'let' Dad do.

Here are two of the nutplate that hold the landing light mount.

To drill the lens, Dad held the light in position and I drilled it. Luckily I didn't crack it.

Here are a couple of pictures of everything installed.


Sunday, April 10, 2011

Wing progress so far

I started working on my right wing in March. Here are some pictures of the progress I have made since then.

Here is a picture of the wing.

These holes are for conduit.

Here is a picture of I took while working on pulling the conduit through. It was a real pain and took me a few hours.

Here is a picture of the autopilot servo.

You can see I have the gap fairings and the aileron installed.


Empennage Completion

I finished the empennage (tail) back in March. I was dreading the trailing edge, but things went really well. Here are some pictures.

The finished Left Elevator.

A close-up of a double-flush rivet.

Rolling the leading edge of the rudder.

After I got the empennage finished I moved the quick-build wings into my workshop.


Saturday, April 9, 2011


This will be my Airplane building blog. I still might post stuff on the other blog like when the wings are finished and stuff like that, but the smaller details will stay here. I have copied stuff from the other blog that has RV related stuff to here as you will see below. I still have to tweak the header and stuff, but other than that it is good to go. Stay tuned for updates!